Thursday, November 19, 2015

How Can It Be

“Upon closer observation, it becomes apparent that every strong upsurge of power in the public sphere, be it of a political or a religious nature, infects a large part of humankind with stupidity.” 
― Dietrich BonhoefferLetters and Papers from Prison 


My sweet little Polish boy. I can't kiss those cheeks enough!


Mom, there were six million Polish people killed in the holocaust. That means there was only one person left because there are seven billion people in the world...right? (He looks at me unsure because this logic isn't making sense to him, but like any good first grader he knows very well that seven minus six equals one. I solved the riddle for him by pointing out the million vs. billion discrepancy.

Last night on the ride home from dress rehearsal, Aiden pressed me about the holocaust. The more we talked about it, the more he struggled with why someone would want everyone to be the same. The thought of it just sounded so absurd to him. The song How Can It Be? came on the radio and he said, Mom! That goes with what we were just talking about. HOW can it be?!

Like his daddy, he has a thirst for knowledge and a fascination with history. I love that. He is sweet and innocent and doesn't distribute his love differently based on size, shape, color. I still smile when I think of his thoughtful question this summer after a family reunion, Mom, is our family mostly brown or tan? Six year-olds have much to teach us. 

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.